Saturday, February 28, 2009

Learning patience whether I want it or not

I have been really bad about posting but since this is mostly for me, what's it matter really?

Why is it that I don't want to blog when I'm down or afraid? That tweaking of my back in the garage wasn't bad but it was bad enough that it got worse with my next run. I haven't tried to run since. I decided I needed more stability in the disk first.

So I've been doing the inversion table twice a day and increasing the degree of inversion weekly, working out on the stationery bike three times a week and Chiwalking three times a week. I figure I should be able to walk three miles fast without twinges before I even think about trying to run. Oh, and I've been concentrating on getting my abs to work the way they were intended to rather than using my back muscles.

So I've been spending lots of time at the indoor track -- only a slight step up from the dreadmill, which I just out and out refuse to get on. I'm not fast as a runner, but boy walking three miles seems like forever.

The good news: I can tell my back is getting stronger. Plus, I'm really starting to connect with my body -- learning to truly relax everything except my core. I hadn't realized how much I was "working" at good form rather than relaxing into it.

It's all good.

More than anything else, I'm learning patience. I'm learning that it doesn't all have to come together today. That small improvements are still improvements. That small increases in distance are still increases. It's not so much about where I am today (but I am trying to be present and not think too far out) but where I'll be six months, a year, six years from now.

No comments: