Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Making progress

Ran for a second time yesterday at the local indoor track. I still get a twinge in my back about 10 minutes into the workout but then it subsides and I'm good to go. Even though I still feel rusty, I can feel my chirunning form coming back bit by bit. As long as I keep improving with each run, I'll be fine.

Part of the challenge is not being afraid of re-injuring myself. The first lap I really felt myself holding everything tightly trying not to hurt myself when ironically all that holding is exactly what could hurt me.

Since chirunning require core strength and since my core hasn't been working for some time now, I can't really get any speed going. But I'm just happy to be moving. As soon as the abs get stronger, I can start thinking about leaning a bit more and opening my stride but not until then. But that's OK, I'm still running.


My plan – for the first time in my life – is to not have a plan, but to listen to what my body tells me it’s ready to do. OK, I do have a very loose plan which is to increase only ¼ mile a week. That’s only 1 mile increase per month. That may be too conservative as time goes by but for now I think it’s the right thing. I have more of a tendency to do too much too soon than the opposite.

No comments: