Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Spring is in the air

I got home from work 45 minutes early today for reasons I won't bother to go into, but it meant I could get a run in before I taught a private lesson. I was so stoked to run. It was finally sunny and finally in the 60s. Woooo-hoooo!

My enthusiasm was a little dashed when I realized that my Garmin was almost out of juice. In fact it lasted about 2.5 miles before it died. I'm still not sure how that happened. I had just charged it.

I thought I'd try to get 3 miles in and I'd have been happy with that because I kind of overdid it a couple of days ago. I'd aggravated a muscle, tendon or ligament in my hip at yoga class and still decided to finish my run even when I started to feel a twinge with every step.

So today it was still a bit tender and I wasn't sure what it would do when I actually began to run. I had a feeling before I started -- even with the hip issues -- that today was going to be good. The weather was just too perfect.

I started by running the first mile with no walk break and felt good. I took a 30 second walk break after the first mile and then ran even faster the 2nd mile. The Garmin died during mile 3 but I had planned ahead and brought another watch. I'm not positive about times, but I think I ran Mile 3 in 10 minutes and Mile 4, well that was more a cooldown mile and that was about 10:45 with a 30 second walk break.

I was happy with the times too even though my heart rate was high again.

All in all -- AWESOME. It's amazing what a spring day can do.

Lap 1: 10:40
Lap 2: 10:33
Lap 3: 10 (approx.)
Lap 4: 10:40 (approx.)

Ave. HR/Max HRt
Lap 1: 165/175
Lap 2: 171/178
Lap 3: 172/178 (only half-mile before garmin died)
Lap 4: no garmin

No comments: