Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A long way to go

So I ran Feb. 23, the first run since the cardiologist. I ran with my new intention of running at no more than 154 bpm (85% MHR) and to walk anytime I reached 155 bpm. It was entirely frustrating -- jog (slowly) a quarter mile, heart rate monitor rings and I walk for a minute or so down to 125 bpm. Jog slowly for a quarter mile, heart rate monitor rings, and I was for a minute or so. Up and down, up and down. My Garmin heart rate chart looks like the spikes in one of those heart monitor machines in the hospital.

I figured I would just have to be patient and give it a month to see if there was any improvement. Then I talked with one of the ChiRunning master instructors who suggested setting the heart rate monitor for 165 and to slow down but not stop when the heart monitor alarm sounded. I couldn't imagine that I could run much slower than I already was, but still I was game to try.

My run on Sunday went pretty well. I was able to keep my heart rate at 165 or lower the entire 2.5 miles (I know that's not far, but I need to concentrate on the heart rate before I can focus on more miles). My pace slowed by about a minute a mile this way, but maybe this will work after all. I ran again on Monday but decided not to take the heart rate monitor and try to "feel" my heart rate and when it went over the top.

Hope to get a run in tomorrow but questionable. If not then, I'll have to wait until Sunday because of work and travel.



Sunday
Lap 1: 11:47
Lap 2: 11:41
Lap 3: 05:41 (.5 mile)
Total 2.5 miles
Ave. pace 11:46
Ave. heart rate 161


Monday
Lap 1: 11:12
Lap 2: 11:01
Lap 3: 6:00 (.5 miles)
Total 2.5 miles
Ave pace 11:10
Ave. heart rate (ran without monitor)

No comments: