Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Heart rates and walk breaks

So I talked with an exercise physiologist about my heart rate the other day. He suggested I go out when the weather breaks and do a max heart rate test by running a couple of easy miles, then do an 800 meter run with all-out effort the last 200 meters. Then walk for 5 to 7 minutes and repeat. The heart rate at the end of each 800 should be close to each other and that will be my max heart rate. He thinks my heart rate may be higher than anyone has suggested and that's why I train in the 160s. I'll give it a try soon.

I tried a couple of walk breaks on my last run (Sunday). Went 4 miles and took a 1-minute walk break after a half-mile then again after another half and then after each full mile from then on. I felt better than I have recently, but that could also be because I'm trying to eat a little better. We'll see after my next run or two how it goes.

Interesting thing, though, even with the walk breaks, my time stayed pretty much where it's been.
I'm not a big fan of walk breaks -- I hate starting back up again, but if it keeps my heart rate in better check and allows me to run longer distances, I'll work with it

Lap 1: 11:35
Lap 2: 11:05
Lap 3: 11:04
Lap 4: 11:14

1 comment:

Neese said...

those laps look great! :)