Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Real progress

This will be fairly short because I've been up longer than I should be and am starting to feel it. That's one of my challenges is to not get ahead of myself when I start to feel better.

After a horrible day emotionally yesterday, today has been a good day both physically and emotionally. Physically, I've been feeling better bit by bit, but today I saw big improvements. Today was the first day I woke up and wasn't really hurting from the get-go. Later in the day, I actually got up and down off the toilet without holding on to the adjacent towel bar for support. Woo-hoo! That's big. I didn't really plan not to use the bar, it just happened.

Finally, a few minutes ago, I was able to reach for the front of the arms on the recliner (while fully reclined) and pull myself up to the sitting position without pain. First time since this whole thting started.

I slept really well last night, although I'm still on the air mattress because our bed aggravates my back right now. It was interesting learning how to get up and down off the floor without screaming out. Sometimes it was so tough, but it felt so much better to be on the air mattress -- with pillows under my knees -- than on our bed.

One last note, my husband (whom I lovingly have been calling "Fred" as in Fred, not Florence, Nightingale) has cooked, cleaned, looked after me, bought me gifts, made sure I take my meds, and been so supportive. I'm one lucky girl.

No comments: