Saturday, December 13, 2008

Not good news but it could be worse

Let's cut to the chase. The MRI showed a herniated disc at L5/S1. The good news though is no surgery, there is no nerve involvement, the herniation is in a "good" spot and my doc says she expected the MRI to show more damage. Treatment will probably be "decompression" -- I'll learn more about that on Monday and then PT.

I've been off work for two weeks (and out for four weeks because I was at a conference in California and then tacked on a week of vacation so we could spend Thanksgiving with my husband's brother's family. This happened on the trip). Now, it looks like I'll be out another two weeks. Six weeks off from work would normally sound great but this is definitely not the way to make it happen. I stopped the pain meds the other day and was fine, but had to start them again today.


So bottom line is no yoga running for who knows how long. Good news is the doc says I'll be able to do everything I did before this happened. She says most physical injuries/illnesses are either physical, chemical or emotionally based. So I just need to start paying attention to my nutrition a lot more and try to reduce the stress in my life. I don't want to go into details but it's been a tough 18 months. I talk to someone regularly about it all, but guess I need to do more(meditation, etc.)


I know no one really reads this thing but me, but if anyone out there catches this and knows of anyone who has come back to running following disc herniation, I sure could use some encouragement. If you only know of horror stories, please don't bother. You'd think I wouldn't have to write that but how many times haven't people told pregnant women all kinds of horrible things that happened during delivery or someone heading into surgery some tragic story.


OK, so that's the end of my whining, I hope. I'll try to be more positive from here. I have no idea how this thing happened since I just woke up with it, but I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure I never see a repeat. I know others have experienced things far worse like Frayed Laces who broke her pelvis in a marathon a year ago and just qualified for Boston. I just have to be patient -- and smart.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

A recent pain and MRI to determine the cause of the pain found I had fractured the neck of my femur. I've been on crutches for 8 days and have at least 3-5 more weeks to go before I can walk again. Then a little longer before I can run. All this to say, I know what you're saying. It sucks! Let me know if I can do anything to help... they say misery loves company. :)

Kolla said...

Have a friend who went from a herniated disk to setting one PR after another in 5k's, so hang in there :)

Look after yourself and heal up!

chirunner said...

Kolla, thanks for the response. It was just what I was hoping to hear from someone. You made my day!