Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My knees need a lube job

Before I get into today's run, let's talk election day. My husband and I hit the polls 15 minutes before they opened at 6:30 a.m. and we were still 50th in line. After a 15-minute delay (because the election official had car trouble), the line started moving. In only 30 minutes we were through the line. So beginning to end = 1 hour.

I have never had to stand in line before. And you know what? It felt good. I was glad to be there in line with my neighbors. It was great to see such a great turnout. I was thrilled to see so many people exercising their right to vote. No matter who wins the presidency, we all win because democracy wins when we all vote.

On to my run...
My sister, who has a couple of marathons under her belt, says that water is like an oil/lube job for her joints. Without it, she feels her knees a lot. Apparently, me too.

I usually drink 60 to 80 oz of water per day. Since last Thursday, I've been averaging 20 to 40 and my knees were talking to me at the beginning of the run. They calmed down about a mile into it but my body told me over and over in other ways that it was pissed I hadn't been drinking enough H-2-0.

Here's a little of that "conversation."

Only a quarter mile into the run.
"Uh-oh, I am really thirsty. Maybe I should turn around and get a bottle of water."
"No, I don't run with water bottles anymore. I can stop at mile 3 at the store and buy a bottle."
"OK, but I'm really thirsty."
"Stop thinking about it. Look at the beautiful foliage -- the reds, the vivid yellows, bright oranges...wow I'm thirsty. I haven't even hit a mile yet."
"Come on focus on the beautiful day. It's November and 70 degrees and sunny. Who cares about water. This is awesome."
"I care about water. My mouth feels like a desert. Isn't there a park somewhere close with a drinking fountain?"
"Focus on your chirunning form. Yes, that's it. Relax your ankles, relax your lower legs...hey is anyone watering their lawn or flowers. Maybe I can get a drink off their hose."

And on it went for 3+ miles before I reached a store to buy a water. I felt better once I got water but my knees were whispering -- loudly -- by the end of the run.

I was sure my numbers would be slower than I even planned. I wanted to do a warm-up mile at 12 minutes with the rest at 11 or 11:30. The first mile was 11:31 and the rest were around 10:35.

I feel great 6 hours later, although there's a really slight tightness in my right knee. We'll see how it is in the morning.

1 comment:

Reluctant Runner said...

Hello, chirunner! Your conversation with yourself sounds very familiar. It's a terrible feeling to realize you're thirsty starting out on a run, isn't it?