Tuesday, September 2, 2008

New Balance 800s

So I was given a pair of New Balance 800s -- the new mid-foot strike shoe -- to test. The shoe was a collaboration of ChiRunning creator Danny Dreyer and New Balance.

My first run in them I was not impressed. They felt like they slapped the ground and I couldn't get that to stop not matter how lightly I ran. But after running in them last night, I'm beginning to think the slapping sound may have had more to do with a break-in period than the shoe. I did a slow, easy 2 mile run last night and here's what I discovered:

Pros
The shoe felt great -- it is very light.
The shoe makes landing mid-foot easier and I could feel the mid-foot landing better.
The shoes have a lot of cushion and are flexible right out of the box.

Cons
Despite putting powder under the inserts, the shoes still squeak with every step when I walk. Luckily, I can't hear it when I run.

All in all, I like these shoes and will wear them more often. Good for beginning ChiRunner. Has a lot less heel build-up than most shoes. Will help new Chirunners land mid-foot rather than on the heel.

No comments: