Sunday, June 22, 2008

Running -- take me away

The lack of endorphins from not running is starting to really bug me. But I have to admit I am getting a ton of things done around the house. Last summer, we let the house go completely because of a health issue that needed our full attention. This summer things are better. But the lack of maintenance last year has made this year that much harder.

Last weekend we worked on the deck, all 500 square feet of it -- pressure washing, cleaning, scrubbing and sealing. This morning, my husband and I actually began yardwork that should have been done in early May, but after my mom died in April, I just wasn't in the mood. Not that I'm ever in the mood for yardwork.

A few years ago, my husband went through a period where he wished he'd been a landscape architect (rather than an Air Force colonel) and decided to make up for lost time on our front and back yards. This landscaping phase resulted in about a 200 percent increase in yard maintenance.

Gardening is one of my least favorite activities. In fact, in my previous house, before I met my husband, I made sure the only plantings were bushes that needed very little care -- and then I hired someone to take care of them.

In two hours, we got all the front bushes trimmed and raked, plus I pulled weeds and weeds and weeds and weeds and (well you get the idea). In just a few hours, we got a good start on the maintenance. I still have about another 6 to 8 hours of maintenance before we're up to speed for the summer, and that doesn't even include all the plantings in the decorative pots.

Oh please, running gods, heal this ankle issue quickly and free me from this summer of hard labor around the house. I promise I'll never whine about blisters, fatigue or chafing ever again.

No comments: