Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Down but not out -- just yet

I don't know why but I never want to write when I'm down about something. I realize that's the time I should be writing, but I just can't seem to drag myself to the computer. So that explains the absence.

About two weeks ago, I sprained/strained an ankle ligament when I misstepped on a run -- on vacation no less. (And of course, my running was going about as well as it's ever gone. Figures huh?). I didn't think it was anything. In fact, I barely remembered that I had misstepped -- until that night when it started to ache. So I saw the chirorpractor and the massage therapist, and patiently waited a week to run (but after the first 25 yards I realized it was a no-go). So I gave it another week. The pains have been so random. One time it'll hurt when I stand and walk and then feel better 10 steps later only to hurt again 30 steps after that. Another time it won't hurt for the first 20 yards and hurt from then on. One time it hurts in one part of the ankle, and then another time a different part of the ankle. And sometimes, all the muscles in my calf will tighten up.

On Saturday, I ran ever so lightly for about a quarter mile and it was sore but the pain didn't progress. That night, it felt better than it had for days. On Sunday, I biked 13 miles with my husband then ran 1mile about as slowly as a person can go. It was tight and a little tender but the pain didn't get worse. On Sunday night, it felt really pretty good. Then Monday, it was good until the afternoon when I could really feel it.

So I called the orthopod and have an appt. this afternoon. In the meantime, I had another appt. with the chiro. She told me I had the worst kind of sprain in that I twisted on the diagnol and not only got the tendon (or did she say ligament) but strained all the muscles in the front part of my calf. She said it's important to massage the ligament/tendon. I literally jumped off the table when she did. She did ultrasound and cold laser therapy. My ankle was so sore and swollen last night. But this morning it feels better than it has in days.

I told her about the orthopod appt. today. She agrees I should go the doc and have an x-ray for a stress fracture, possibly in my fibula. She doesn't expect it to be fractured, but given the tenderness in one area, she thinks it's a good idea to have it checked. More tonight.

No comments: