Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Keeping in touch

I don't have much to say about running -- since I'm not. Week One of the waiting game is over and my "impending distal fibular stress fracture" does seem to be feeling better. No one really knows how I did it other than an odd landing on a paved asphalt trail near my sister's in Georgia. The swelling is down, so that's good. I haven't heard back from the cardiologist that the orthopod recommended (to better understand my high heart rate when I run). But I'm hoping to hear this week yet and hopefully get in within a week or two.

In the meantime, meaning before I can run again, I've been getting to projects I normally wouldn't. Gene and I worked about 6 hours (so that's 12 total hours) pressure washing the deck, cleaning it and then sealing/staining it. This is one of those jobs I have to get really motivated for. Gene too. That's why it doesn't get done as often as it should (which is only every other year, but still). When we finished, I was stoked. The deck looked fantastic -- almost as good as the day we finished building it.

Since we have usually reseal the deck in August or September (see I told you it takes us a while to get motivated) getting it done in June is a big deal. I was all set for a summer of sitting on the deck with a nice book and eating a few meals outside. The deck needed 24 hours to set -- about 16 hours more than we got before the deluge hit. Rain that was predicted 12 hours earlier than it hit. The next morning we woke to a surprise.

Forget the leopard tights, try a leopard deck. All that work for nothing. I could hardly imagine re-doing it, but if that's what it took, I was ready. I really want to enjoy the deck this summer and I just didn't the leopard look would take as a style. Fortunately as the morning went on, the deck dried and looks fine. Whew! I said I would re-do the deck, but the idea was pretty sickening. We still want to apply one more coat of sealer and then we're good to go.

Other than that I've been enjoying a visit with my sister and one of my nephews who came to be with my dad for Father's Day (the first without my mom).

No comments: