Friday, June 13, 2008

Impending distal fibular stress fracture

Good news -- no ankle fracture. Bad news -- no running for 2 to 4 weeks.

My ankle isn't fractured -- yet. But it's "impending." In fact, it's an impedning distal fibular stress fracture, according to the orthopod. All this means is that running on it some more could cause it to actual splinter. I think the doc was suprised it wasn't fractured considering my yelps and jumping off the table a few inches every time he touched a certain spot on my ankle.

Normally, I would be VERY upset with this diagnosis and not being able to run. I'd be especially upset with myself since the ankle pain was just a minor twinge until I ran 6 miles on it when I kind of sensed I shouldn't have gone more than 3 or 4. But you know, 4 weeks is really a small blip in my running "career" (I use the term as loosely as possible). Of course, if it doesn't feel better in 4 weeks, the doc wants to do a bone scan.

My chiropractor is helping by doing ultrasound and cold laser therapy three times a week. I swear in just two treatments, the swelling has gone down substantially.

The silver lining in all of this was sharing with the orthopod the issue with my high heart rate even when I run 11 or 12 minute miles. I asked him if he knew of a cardiologist who works with athletes because my first cardiologist said that after looking at my test results he didn't have a clue why my heart rate jumps so high so fast and only when I run. Not exactly an acceptable answer.

So between the orthopod checking with a few folks for a recommendation and a little Internet research of my own, I found a doctor locally who is an electrophysiologist (a subspecialty of cardiology). Great news -- he's the same doc the orthopod referred me to. Of course, when I called today the cardiologist, the scheduler said the doc doesn't have an opening until September. But then she said she'd see if she could somehow get me in next week. That would be sweet.

I'd be more than happy to give up 4 weeks of running in exchange for a diagnosis and treatment that would take my heart rate down to normal numbers so I don't bonk after 7 miles.

So it's on to the bike, weights and core work for 4 weeks. It's all good. All is well.

No comments: