Sunday, July 6, 2008

On the road again

So tomorrow was supposed to be the first day I can try to run again. Only a mile but it's a start. But my schedule is a little crazy tomorrow, so I decided to run today.

I have to admit I was a little nervous. I still don't know what caused the ankle pain other than the doc's "impending distal fibular stress fracture" diagnosis. I was hoping it was healed enough to feel good. I started out and noticed I was a little cautious on the right side and I had to consciously put away the fear of hurting myself. I had to remind myself that the ankle issue was caused by a small ankle twist, and not giving it the respect -- and rest -- that it required until I really did it up good during a 6-mile run. I had to remind myself that it had nothing to do with my actual running and there was nothing to be afraid of. So I tried to relax and just enjoy the 1 single mile I was permitted to run. No Garmin, so no time or heart rate, just feeling myself move again.

Great news. No pain, no twinges and tonight no swelling. So I'll run again on Tuesday and then two more times this week, and if all goes well, I'll add another half-mile next week.

No comments: