Sunday, January 6, 2008

Maybe I'm starting to learn

There are no "bad runs" only "good lessons," according to Danny Dreyer. If that's true, I should be a freakin' genius by now.

Today was supposed to be a long, slow, distance run of only 6 miles. (I've had to cut back on my mileage since jamming my leg funny during a run on snow and ice three weeks ago.) This morning I woke and checked my RHR (resting heart rate) and it was surprisingly high. I recently read an article that said if you're RHR is 5% above your average, do an easy workout; if it's 10% over, take the day off. According to that forumla, I should've bagged my run. But hey it was 53 degrees here after 4 inches of snow earlier this week, and no Ohio runner in their right mind would blow off a January day in the 50s.

Even though I did a hard hill workout yesterday, my body felt good this morning. No calf tightness. My hip was feeling a little tender from yesterday but not bad at all. So I headed out in a light mist and lots of clouds. Within a half mile, I knew the article had been right. I didn't feel bad, but I spent the run working on trying to relax my calves and just relax in general.

I really wanted to do all 6 miles. Why? Because I said I would. But finally I'm learning that it's more important to listen to my body than my ego. So I turned around at 2 miles and took my time getting home for a total of 4 miles.

Now a few hours later, I'm slightly disappointed at not completing the workout I planned, but my legs (calves and the injured hip in particular) feel great. I have a scheduled day off tomorrow, which my body clearly needs. While my legs feel fine, my body is achey.

Lessons learned
1. Don't do a long, slow, distance run the day after a hard hill workout.
2. Pay attention to that RHR and take a day off when it's 10% high than normal.

No comments: