Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Brain-freeze

Brain-freeze. That must be what it was. Like when you eat ice cream too fast. I must have had a brain-freeze that momentarily stopped logical decision-making. That’s the only explanation I can come up with for going out for a run last night...in the dark...with it snowing...and a 14-degree windchill factor.

Saying that I don’t like the cold is like saying a polar bear doesn’t like the desert. I not only don’t like it, I tend to abhor it, hate it, and curse it. I got frostbite as a kid, so cold has never been a welcome guest at my house. I’m the only person I know who wears socks – indoors – when the temperature dips below 72.

So imagine my surprise when I watch myself dressing in layers to head out into the night cold for a run. It’s like an out-of-body experience.

“Wait, what are you doing? Put that long-sleeve technical shirt away. You don’t need that to ride the stationary bike. What? Why are you putting on your running tights? Where are our bike shorts? No, no, please not, not the running shoes. Oh God!! She’s really thinking of going outside?!”

Apparently, yes.

I know everyone says you should dress for the second half of the run. But as cold as I get, I won’t see the second half of the run – or the first half for that matter – if I’m freezing at the start. So I dress for the first half and live with the more-than-toasty-feeling. (I swear I am like the anti-runner. I do everything opposite of the norm.)

But you know what? 14 degrees can be very comfortable with the right clothes. The cold was bearable and the air was clean and crisp. I actually enjoyed, well “enjoyed” would be an exaggeration, but I survived my Arctic run. Maybe the polar bear should give the desert a try.

3 comments:

Bev said...

I'm with you. Cold is not fun. This is my first winter to run and there are days that the cold wind scares me. I know I won't die but something in me says, "cold bad, warm sun good."

Reluctant Runner said...

Y'know, I am exactly the same. I dress to be warm when I walk out the door because I wouldn't venture out otherwise. I can always peel down/unzip later. I read two good suggestions recently in a running magazine:
- Dress warm and do a run in loops. Then when you pass by your house, you can shed layers.
- Warm up in the house first (by running up and down stairs or something like that. Then your body will be warmer heading out.

I haven't tried either yet, but I plan to. That, or just get used to running with my hat in my hands and my scarf around my waist.

Nancy said...

It can be downright fun with the right gear. Although it does make it harder to want to go.