Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Starting (Way Beyond) Over

So I'm starting over with this blog. That's because I'm starting over with running in a way and I'm hoping to track what happens.

I've been running but my fitness hasn't improved. For nearly two years. In fact, I've lost fitness. After a multitude of tests and visiting with a few cardiologists, there is nothing wrong with my heart. And yet, no matter how slowly I jog, my heart rate soars after only a quarter to a half mile. No gentle increase in HR just a jump from 115 to 150 in less than a mile. And only higher from there.

It got to the point where I would bonk after only 2 or 3 miles because my HR was at 180 for most of the run. Crazy -- and frustrating.

I've done VO2 max tests at Ohio State University recently which didn't show much either. So I had just decided to start slowing down more and more in hopes of lowering the heart rate. It seemed to be working a little. I'd gotten up to 5+ miles on my LSD and 3 miles on my other runs. And I'd brought my heart rate down from the upper 170s to 150s and 160s mostly. I never see the 130s much less 120s, which is where I should be on LSDs (126-132). And my recovery rate is lousy. After walking and stretching, I can still be at 115 bpm.

I also started to pay better attention to fueling. And recently decided to contact a running friend about nutrition. This guy runs sub 3-hour marathons and bikes a bazillion miles a year. He's actually getting ready to start another career in nutrition. We've started with me doing a food journal. As part of our emails back and forth, I explained to him my heart rate issue. Turns out he has experienced the exact same thing. He said I have to develop my slow twitch muscles. He recommended a book "Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot" yes "compleat" not "complete." The book is on its way. In the meantime, I am following Dick's advice about how to do my workouts.

I am to keep my heart rate no higher than 126 and no lower than 118 for one hour 3 times a week. If that means walking most of the way, then so be it. One day a week I get to do a run 160+ bpm for 30 minutes. That will be no problem at all. But keeping my heart rate below 126 is impossible with the slowest of jogging.

I've done the 1-hour workout twice now. It is frustrating and boring walking so much, but I know it will pay off. Dick reminded me that while I enjoy my long slow runs, they aren't doing me any good. In fact, none of my runs have really been doing me any good. I work too hard all of the time.

This could take a few months to get to the point where I can run and keep my heart ratte down but it'll be worth it. Dick says that within 3 weeks or a month I should be running more than walking. This is not a whole lot of fun, but not being able to run more than 7 miles without getting sick or hurt over the past 2 years hasn't been fun either.

One more thing: my chirunning form has been great and makes running so much easier that I want to run more and more but my heart rate just won't allow it. If I can get the heart rate down, I know good things are in my future. I know I have a half marathon and full marathon in me, maybe more. I just have to bring it out. And this appears to be my only chance.

2 comments:

whois domain find said...

Thank you very much for your wonderful

kayan Association said...

Thanks ..your topic beautiful ..... Good luck