Saturday, April 12, 2008

Starting Over

In my renewed effort to focus on the joy of running and not the numbers, I left my heart rate monitor and my Garmin behind for yesterday's run. No way to know how fast or how far I was going (well, I guess I knew how far because I was on one of my favorite routes). But no pressure to perform, no obsessing about my speed, no concerns about heart rate. Just a casual run.

I was totally relaxed except for the butt-dragging feeling in my body. My running form felt great -- no pains, discomfort; my breath rate felt good. I just like I was running with a hangover and I don't even drink. I'm not sure where the butt-dragging feeling came from, although I guess it could be trying to run fueled by fast food. I guess nutrition really does matter. Who'da thunk?

As Danny Dreyer says in ChiRunning, there are no bad runs, just good lessons. And the lesson for today: Stop eating junk (as if I really had to write that down).

One last note: Today is my 11th wedding anniversary. Let me tell you I wouldn't trade a minute of it. I waited a long time for the right man to come along and he was worth the wait. Happy Anniversary Gene.

No comments: